Friday, September 19, 2008

Funk Band - Straight To Business

This "Funk Band" series will be featured on the Lab School Funk Band's news page.


Yo!  It's Will - still hanging around; helping out my favorite funk band.

As some of you may have heard, I am currently taking a "Fundamentals of Western Music" course at UH Manoa, and it has been a complete breeze so far.  At this point, I am confident that any Lab School student would be familiar with what I'm learning now - things like classical music history, identifying time signatures and dynamic markers, and clapping simple rhythms.  Later I'll be learning a little more about music theory, how to write music reviews, and maybe even do a little ear training - things I'm already used to as a former member of the Funk Band.  I will keep you all updated if anything interesting happens in my class.

Now, moving on to the fun stuff!
I've never stopped looking for songs to learn, and I have never stopped suggesting songs for the Funk Band.  Even before I was in the Funk Band, I was already suggesting songs!  Anyway, I have a feeling that the focus for this year's repertoire is on uplifting songs - songs that help us share a positive vibe with the world - so I have narrowed down my very large list to fit the criteria.

Here are my top song suggestions for this week/month (in no particular order):

Amber - 311 (chill song, cool reverb effects)
Australia - The Shins (lots of guitar parts, back-up vocals, and it's hip!)
Lights Out - Santogold
Naive - The Kooks (funky guitar rhythms.  the good kind of funky)
No Rain - Blind Melon
Don't Panic - Coldplay (powerful message, cool effects)
Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside (FUNK!)
Modern Mystery - Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders (hoo-hah!)
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend

That's it for now.  If anyone wants to hear my other song suggestions, let me know and I'd be glad to share.


And here's the music video for
Modern Mystery - Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

No comments:

Post a Comment